The Office of Disability Services supports the mission, academic programs and the advancement of Suffolk County Community College by ensuring that qualified individuals with disabilities are afforded an equal opportunity to participate in the programs, services and activities at SCCC through the identification and enactment of reasonable accommodations to institutional policies and procedures, the provision of effective auxiliary aides and services and other support services while cultivating a campus culture that is sensitive and responsive to the needs of students. (2014)
Goals and Outcomes
To ensure appropriate and reasonable accommodations are provided for students with documented disabilities.
- Review, revise, and enhance, as necessary, the process for submitting and reviewing documentation.
- Designate timeline to determine effectiveness of review process.
- Ensure completion and accuracy of documentation in order to review and approve reasonable accommodations.
Effectively communicate breadth of services to internal and external stakeholders.
- Educate students, faculty, staff and external partners of services available.
- Enhance outreach to high schools, community resources and government agencies.
- Increase awareness and availability of groups and activities designed to support student learning outcomes.
Support the college's continued compliance with ADA Guidelines.
- Effectively collaborate with other college units responsible for ADA Guidelines.
- Evaluate appropriateness of space and facilities in accordance with ADA Guidelines.