SUNY and Middle States Requirements for General Education Assessment
SUNY Requirements for General Education Assessment
- Each campus with one or more general education curricula shall develop and implement a plan for the periodic evaluation of these curricula that meets or exceeds the standards of the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
- At minimum, the plan shall indicate how the campus will assess student achievement of the student learning outcomes associated with the SUNY General Education Requirement and use the results to inform planning for improvement.
- The student learning outcomes are in Guidelines for the Approval of State University General Education Requirement Courses.
Middle States College and Higher Education Requirements
MSCHE Standard 12—General Education
MSCHE Standard 14—Assessment of Student Learning
- assessment of general education outcomes within the institution’s overall plan
for assessing student learning, and
- evidence that such assessment results are utilized for curricular improvement
*From MSCHE, Characteristics of EXCELLENCE in Higher Education: Requirements of Affiliation and
- reasonably accurate and truthful
- carefully planned and organized
Standards for Accreditation, Revised March 2009, Online Edition