Students applying to transfer in their F-1 status to Suffolk County Community College will receive notification of their acceptance to Suffolk County Community College after all the application requirements are fulfilled.
F-1 Transfer-In Application Requirements
- Admissions Application including a non-refundable application fee
- Application for SEVIS Form I-20
- Housing Sponsorship Form and proof of residence
- Financial Sponsorship Form and proof of finances
- Education credential evaluation
- English proficiency
- Copy of a valid passport
- Copy of dependent valid passport (if applicable)
- Copy or print out of Form I-94 (Arrival-Departure Record)
- Copy of F-1 student visa
- Copies of all previous SEVIS Form(s) I-20
- Transfer Recommendation Form
If any document in a language other than English is submitted, the applicant must include a full English language translation. The translator must certify that the translation is complete and accurate, and he or she is competent to translate from the foreign language to English. The applicant must submit the foreign language original document along with the translation.
All documents must be originals, unless noted on the list of requirements that a copy can be submitted.
Understanding F-1 Transfer-In Application Requirements
Admissions Application - Complete all sections and attach a non-refundable application fee payable to Suffolk County Community College. Payment should be made by check or money order. Applicants must include their legal address (foreign address). All applicants MUST answer the questions 11 and 12; if left blank, the application cannot be processed. When answering questions regarding residency/citizenship, note that, F-1 status does not allow non-immigrants to establish U.S. residency.
- Application for SEVIS Form I-20 - Complete all sections of this form. This form provides the International Student Counselor with pertinent information required to create the SEVIS Form I-20. The applicant will provide the college with mailing instructions for the acceptance package and SEVIS Form I-20. If the applicant requests that the acceptance package and SEVIS Form I-20 be mailed outside the U.S., the mailing can be sent via standard air or express mail. For express mail, applicants will be required to provide an international shipping account. The account holder is responsible for all express shipping costs.
There are no dormitories or residence halls at Suffolk County Community College.
Students or their sponsors must arrange for student housing.
- Housing Sponsorship Form - Complete this form and attach proof residence.
- Copy of Deed
- Lease Agreement
- Copy of a utility bill (example electric, gas, oil, or water bill)
Applicants with a housing sponsor must have their sponsor complete and submit a notarized Housing Sponsorship Form with proof of residence. The Housing Sponsor must be a United States citizen or a lawful permanent resident.
By completing the Housing Sponsorship Form, the sponsor is swearing to the United States government the applicant will receive free room and board. The applicant cannot be required to provide the sponsor with any service in exchange for room and board. The Housing Sponsorship Form and proof residence must be submitted with the application.
Please note: New student applicants who will arrange their own housing, must submit proof they have adequate funds in the amount of $29,440 per year for each year of the students program of study at SCCC. Upon arrival to the United States, the applicant must complete a Housing Sponsorship Form with proof of residence within ten days of arrival. All students must be registered in the Student Exchange Visitors Information System (SEVIS) in order to maintain F-1 student status. A U.S. address is required to complete the SEVIS registration process. Failure to comply with the housing requirement will prevent the student from being registered in SEVIS. As a result, it will lead to the termination of the F-1 student’s status.
The financial sponsorship form must be submitted with an official bank statement to confirm the availability of funds required ($18,440 per year) to support the student for the duration of studies.
Applicants with Dependents - If a spouse or child is accompanying the applicant to the United States, additional funding must be provided. For a spouse, an additional $6,500 per year; and for each additional child, $4,500 per year must be added to the annual costs.
Please note: F-1 applicants who do provide financial support for themselves, must submit proof they have adequate financial funds for each year of the students program of study at Suffolk County Community College (SCCC), at the time of the application. Length of study is two years for any college credit earning academic program; three years, if English language training is required and the applicant enrolls in the Intensive English Program (IEP).
The bank statement must be in the name of the person offering the financial support. The bank statement must include balances and deposits and cannot be more than two months old at the time of the application submission. Please note: if another person’s name appears on the bank statement, that person must complete a separate Financial Sponsorship Form permitting those funds to be used for the applicant. The bank statement(s) must indicate the immediate availability of funds to pay for the expenses for at least the first year of study or proof of income can be submitted to substantiate the financial ability to pay for the course of study and living expenses for the entire length of study.
- Employer's salary statement on company letterhead
- If self-employed, salary estimate from a private accountant or bank
- Income tax returns or receipts with a current pay stub
- Pay stubs for the last two months
- Documentation of liquid assets
By completing the Financial Sponsorship Form, the individual is swearing to the United States government and agrees they will provide the funds indicated on the Financial Sponsorship Form to the applicant from their own financial resources for the purpose of full-time study at Suffolk County Community College.
Suffolk County Community College cannot provide any financial assistance to the applicant.
It is recommended at least part of the applicant’s financial support come from a financial sponsor from their home country. This recommendation is important for obtaining a student visa or applying for a change of status, providing the recommended information the applicant is demonstrating ties to their home country.
International Students are not eligible for federal or state-based financial aid while attending Suffolk County Community College on an F-1 status.
It is important to note that F-1 students cannot be expected to work in the United States to meet their financial needs. On-campus employment is extremely limited, and off-campus employment is strictly controlled by United States Citizenship Immigration Services.
To determine the annual cost of tuition and living expenses and to report your available financial resources, complete the Annual Tuition and Living Costs Worksheet.
- Educational Credentials
International applicants must prove their secondary education from their home country is equivalent to a U.S. high school diploma. Applicants who have been determined by an accredited agency to have earned the equivalent of an associate’s degree or higher can have the high school requirement waived. Applicants who have attended college and wish to transfer credits to this institution must have a course-by-course evaluation before determining potential transfer credits.
All foreign educational credentials must be evaluated by an accredited agency.
Academic degree evaluations will be accepted from a credential evaluation agency which is a member of either the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or the Association of International Credentials Evaluators (AICE). Please note, the agency the applicant selects to process their education credential evaluation will specify the required documentation and English translation requirements.
Educational Credential Evaluation must be sent to the International Student Office at the address below.
Please visit the websites below for NACES and AICE to select one of the evaluation agencies:
National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES)
Association of International Credentials Evaluators (AICE)
- English Proficiency - For admission to Suffolk County Community College, English proficiency must be demonstrated by meeting one of the following requirements:
- TOEFL Examination - a minimum score of 61 (internet-based), 173 (computerized-based) or 500 (paper-based)
- Completion of a recognized English as a Second Language (ESL) program at another American institution.
- SUNY English Proficiency Report - This form is to be completed by a professor or instructor of English at a school or university or director of an English language program
Suffolk County Community College’s ESL department offers an Intensive English Program (IEP) for language training, this is a non-credit program. The program is full-time, with three levels: beginner, intermediate and advanced. Applicants will be given an additional year on the SEVIS Form I-20 to complete language training prior to studying a degree program. Applicants planning to enroll in the Intensive English Program (IEP) are not required to meet the English Proficiency requirement.
- Copy of the identity page of a valid passport - Valid for at least 6 months into the future
- Copy of the identity page of any dependent valid passport - Valid for at least 6 months into the future
- Copy or print out of Form I-94 (Arrival-Departure Record)
- Copy of F-1 visa - Submit a clear copy of your F-1 student visa
- Copies of all previous Form(s) I-20 - Submit all pages of all previous Form I-20’s
- Transfer Recommendation Form - Form must be completed by your current International Student Advisor/DSO
Submit the International Admissions Application to the International Student Office:
Suffolk County Community College
International Student Office
533 College Road, Norman F. Lechtrecker Building L12
Selden, NY 11784-2899 USA