Study Abroad Scholarships
Several Suffolk County Community College scholarships (value to be determined based on funds availability) will be awarded to support study abroad program students' participation. Applications will be accepted beginning February 15, 2018. The deadline to submit an application is April 6, 2018 (late or incomplete applications will not be considered). Scholarships will be awarded on April 23, 2018.
To qualify for the scholarship, one must be a full time Suffolk student with a GPA of 3.0 or higher at a time of application, and be enrolled into one of the study abroad programs offered at Suffolk County Community College. Non-matriculated students are not eligible to apply.
- Submit the following documents to the Study Abroad Office by email or send a hard
- Why did you decide to study abroad and what factors led you to this decision?
- What do you hope to gain and what do you anticipate will be the impact of your experience abroad?
- What impact will your choice of country have on your experience abroad?
- What initially inspired you to want to study abroad in this particular country or learn this language?
- What factors led to your choice of country to study?
- How will this study abroad program and the coursework you take abroad impact your academic and future professional goals?
- Are there any distinctive components to this program, beyond coursework, that will
impact your overall learning experience abroad?
NOTE: Your essay should not simply answer all of the above questions - they should rather guide you in your thought process when explaining in your essay why you decided to study abroad and what you expect to gain from the experience.
- Two letters of recommendation from your instructors, advisors or mentors who can speak
- Competence in major or specialization
- Academic interest and motivation
- Capacity for independent study
- Level of maturity
- Ability to adapt to unstructured circumstances
- Self-confidence and self-esteem
- Ability to relate well to others
- Emotional stability
NOTE: Recommendation Letters MUST include full name, email, phone number, position of the recommending individual and must be signed and include date.
- Cover sheet, including the following information:
- "Study Abroad Program"
- First Name
- Last name
- Email Address
- Phone Number
- Current GPA
- Current Major
- Date of Application
Suffolk County Community College
Attn: Study Abroad Office
Ammerman Campus, Riverhead #318
533 College Rd.
Selden, NY 11784
Additional Scholarship Opportunities
Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
Awards of up to $5,000 to support U.S. citizen undergraduates receiving federal Pell Grant funding at 2-year or 4-year undergraduate colleges or universities in study abroad. Students studying a Critical Need Language may receive a $3,000 supplement for a total possible award of $8,000. This program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.