Skip to main content

Excelsior Scholarship

New York State tuition-free degree program, the Excelsior Scholarship is intended to supplement all current aid programs, including but not limited to TAP, PELL and other scholarships. Students can receive up to $5,500 from the scholarship, minus any amounts received from TAP, PELL, or other scholarships. It will provide assistance to students to cover any tuition gaps and make college tuition-free. The scholarship makes college possible for students across the state and helps to alleviate the crushing burden of student debt. Students apply through New York State and applications will be available in late May. For additional information, visit the HESC website.


Applicants must:

  • Be resident of New York State;
  • Plan to attend a SUNY or CUNY two- or four-year degree program;
  • Take 30 credits per year and make progress toward graduation;
  • Maintain good academic standing;
  • Be on track to graduate on time with an Associate Degree in two years or a Bachelor’s Degree in four years; and
  • Be a New York State resident whose family household adjusted gross income (as filed on your 2017 federal tax return) does not exceed $125,000 for the 2018-19 and 2019-20 academic year.

To apply for this scholarship, you will need to:

  1. Upload a .pdf copy of your SAR (Student Aid Report) to the HESC website. If you do not have a copy of your SAR you can obtain one from
  2. Upload a .pdf copy of your unofficial transcript. The transcript can be obtained by logging into MySuffolk County Community College and selecting Unofficial Transcript in the Self-Service Banner menu.

For additional information visit the HESC website where you will find a list of questions and answers.

Part-Time Scholarship (PTS) Award Program

The New York State Part-Time Scholarship award provides tuition awards to students attending SUNY or CUNY community colleges who are enrolled part-time each semester.  Recipients of the PTS award will receive an award that covers the cost of six credit hours or $1,500 per term, whichever is less.  An award recipient is entitled to award payments for not more than four consecutive academic semesters.  Students apply through New York State.  For additional information, visit the HESC website.


Applicants must:

  • Be resident of New York State;
  • Plan to attend a SUNY or CUNY college;
  • Be enrolled in at least six but less than 12 credits per term; and
  • Maintain cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher.

Regents Awards for Children of Deceased or Disabled Veterans, Police Officers and Firefighters

There are awards for children of disabled veterans of the war periods 1941-46, 1950-55, 1961-75, and 1990-end of hostilities. There are also awards for children of servicemen who were prisoners of war or missing in action from those periods. The award is $450 a year for up to four years of full-time college study in New York State. Child of Police Officer-Firefighters Awards are for children of police officers or firefighters who died as a result of an on the job injury after June 30, 1982. The award is $450 a year for up to four years of undergraduate study. The following award / scholarship programs are available from New York State: 

  1. Children of Veteran Awards - for students whose parent(s) served in the U.S. Armed Forces during specified period of war or national emergency.
  2. Veterans Tuition Awards - Vietnam, Persian Gulf, or Afghanistan veterans matriculated for full or part-time study.
  3. NYS Memorial Scholarships – for families of deceased Firefighters, Volunteer Firefighters, Police Officers, Peace Officers and Emergency Medical Service Workers who died as the result of injuries sustained in the line of duty in service to the State of New York.
  4. World Trade Center Memorial Scholarships – for families and financial dependents of victims who died or were severely and permanently disabled as a result of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.
  5. Volunteer Recruitment Service Scholarships – for fire and ambulance volunteers.

Students should contact New York State Higher Education Corporation at 888-697-4372 for additional information on all programs above.

Educational Incentive Program

This is a program designed for students who are current employees at a registered or licensed day care provider. Students must be pursuing courses or programs related to early childhood education, child day care, children with special needs and other related subjects. Scholarship awards are based on income, type of courses studied and other priority considerations. Awards range from $117 per credit to $1,335 for full time study per semester. For additional information you must call (800) 295-9616.

Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship Program

Based on SAT or ACT scores and grade point average. Maximum award of $1,500 based on Federal Application. Applications available at high school Guidance Office or from the Bureau of HEOP/VTEA Scholarships, NYS Education Department, Education Building Annex, Room 1071, Albany, NY 12234, (518) 486-1319.

NYS Scholarship for Academic Excellence

NYS residents who are US citizens or eligible non-citizens enrolled (matriculated) for 12 credits or more. Cannot be in default on any NYS guaranteed student loan. Must attend a college in NYS. Awards are $1,500 to the top graduating senior of each high school in NYS, $500 to other academically gifted students for up to 4 years, or 5 years in certain programs. Scholarship must be used within 7 years. Contact the high school guidance office. To receive payment, complete the TAP application process.

Native American Education Student Aid

The Native American Education Student Aid is financial assistance for eligible Native American students for study in approved, undergraduate programs at New York State Institutions of higher education. It is not available for study at institutions located outside of New York State. Receiving New York State TAP does not affect a student's eligibility to receive Native American Education Student Aid.

For further information and to obtain the application to apply contact:
New York State Higher Education Services
Phone: (518) 474-0537
Fax:      (518) 474-3666

Educational Opportunity Grant (EOP)

A special program for New York State students who have been designated by the college as both academically and economically disadvantaged. For more information on this program please contact the EOP Office.

Adult Career and Continuing Education Services-Vocational Rehabilitation
(ACCES-VR, formerly VESID)

This program offers access to a full range of employment and independent living services that may be needed by persons with disabilities through their lives through its administration of vocational rehabilitation and independent living programs. For more information visit ACCES-VR.

Contact the District Office located at:

Hauppauge, New York
Phone: (631) 952-6357

Riverhead, New York
Phone: (631) 727-6496

Benefits Under the G.I. Bill and the War Orphans Assistance Program

General information is available on the college homepage. Specific information is available by contacting the Veterans Administration toll-free at (888) 442-2551 or the Veteran Service Agency located in Hauppauge at (631) 853-8387.

Benefits Available by Being a Student and Part-Time Soldier

For educational purposes only, up to a maximum of $9,768 can be received by serving in the Army Reserves. New York Army National Guard pays 100% of tuition charges. Contact your local State Armory and / or U.S. Army Reserve Unit. Loan repayment assistance is also available. Contact the Veterans Administration for additional information.