Skip to main content

General Academic Requirements for Financial Aid (Full-time and Part-time Students)

To receive financial aid from the student aid programs you must meet the following conditions:

  1. Have financial need (i.e., except for some loan programs)
  2. Have a high school diploma or hold a NYS High School Equivalency Diploma (HSE - formerly known as GED). As of July 1, 2012, students admitted under the Ability to Benefit (ATB) are no longer eligible for Federal Aid
  3. Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a degree or certificate program (i.e., matriculated and taking courses applicable for that degree or certificate)
  4. Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  5. Have a valid Social Security Number
  6. Have filed and signed a statement on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) certifying that you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes
  7. Neither be in default on a federal student loan nor owe money back on a federal student grant
  8. Have registered with the Selective Service, if required (Males age 18-25 can register by checking a box on the FAFSA or by visiting the Selective Service web site)
  9. Meet the federal and state standards for satisfactory academic progress. Please click the Maintaining Eligibility tab above.

Your eligibility also may be verified by government agencies as follows:

  • Social Security Administration for verification of social security numbers, correct name, and U.S. citizenship status
  • Selective Service System for verification of Selective Service registration status, when applicable
  • Department of Homeland Security (Immigration and Naturalization Service) for verification of eligible non-citizenship status, when applicable
  • Department of Justice for verification that a student has not been denied federal student aid by the courts as the result of a drug-related conviction
  • Veterans Administration for verification of veterans status, when applicable, to determine dependent/independent status and discharge status
  • Department of Education to validate accuracy of financial information for all students identified by U.S. Department of Education.
  1. Students must be enrolled in a degree or certificate program (matriculated) to receive financial aid.
  2. To qualify for TAP, you must be full-time (12 or more credits). First time recipients who require remedial coursework must take at least three (3) college level credits, and six (6) college level credits in all subsequent terms.
  3. To qualify for APTS, students must enroll in at least three (3) college level credits each semester.
  4. State financial aid is not awarded for repeated courses for which you have received a passing grade.
  5. Financial aid is not awarded for courses that are being "audited."
  6. Financial aid is awarded only for courses that are required for the student's degree or certificate program. Financial aid does not cover prerequisites.
  7. Students are expected to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress standards to maintain financial aid eligibility. Refer to progress standards for Academic Progress charts.

Repeat Coursework

Federal financial aid will pay for only one repeat if you have previously earned credit in a course with a passing grade (A, B, C, D, etc.). You are only eligible to receive financial aid the first time the course is repeated. For example, if you are registered for 12 credits, and one of your 3-credit courses is a third attempt (after receiving a passing grade in an earlier attempt) your financial aid will be based on 9 credits and you will not be able to receive aid based on full-time enrollment. A second repeat is counted even if you received an incomplete grade.

State financial aid will not pay for repeated courses if you have previously earned credit with a grade of A, B, C, D, etc.

Appeal Process

After grades are evaluated at the end of each semester, financial aid recipients who fall below the satisfactory academic progress standards will be notified as follows:

  1. Students are notified of their loss of eligibility and the possibility of appealing.
  2. Students who are receiving state funds can apply for a waiver provision. Such a waiver can only be granted once during the students undergraduate career.
  3. Federal aid recipients may also apply for a Conditional Waiver. If granted, students may continue to receive financial aid.
  4. Waiver requests are reviewed by a campus committee that determines whether or not the academic difficulty was due to a serious extenuating situation (e.g. serious medical problems, death in family, disability etc.). Documentation of all extenuating situations is required.
  5. Since the waiver is neither automatic nor an entitlement, the judgment of the waiver committee will be final. Students will receive the decision of the committee in writing.

See Student Appeal Form to apply for an appeal.

Requirements for Satisfactory Academic Progress (Federal Aid)

*Total Successful Grade   *Total Successful Grade
Course Hours Accrued Point   Course Hours Accrued Point
Attempted Credits Average   Attempted Credit Average
8 – 9 6 1.6   53 – 54 36 2.0
10 7 1.6   55 37 2.0
11 – 12 8 1.6   56 – 57 38 2.0
13 9 1.6   58 39 2.0
14 – 15 10 1.6   59 – 60 40 2.0
16 11 1.7   61 41 2.0
17 – 18 12 1.7   62 – 63 42 2.0
19 13 1.7   64 43 2.0
20 – 21 14 1.7   65 – 66 44 2.0
22 15 1.7   67 45 2.0
23 – 24 16 1.7   68 – 69 46 2.0
25 17 1.7   70 47 2.0
26 – 27 18 1.7   71 – 72 48 2.0
28 19 1.7   73 49 2.0
29 – 30 20 1.7   74 – 75 50 2.0
31 21 1.8   76 51 2.0
32 – 33 22 1.8   77 – 78 52 2.0
34 23 1.8   79 53 2.0
35 – 36 24 1.8   80 – 81 54 2.0
37 25 1.8   82 55 2.0
38 – 39 26 1.8   83 – 84 56 2.0
40 27 1.8   85 57 2.0
41 – 42 28 1.8   86 – 87 58 2.0
43 29 1.8   88 59 2.0
44 – 45 30 1.8   89 – 90 60 2.0
46 31 2.0   91  61  2.0
47 – 48  32 2.0    92 – 93 62 2.0
49  33 2.0    94 63 2.0
 50 – 51 34 2.0    95 64 2.0
52  35 2.0    96+ No longer eligible - max time limit


The Federal Satisfactory Academic Progress policy requires students maintain a minimum completion rate of 67%. This is measured by dividing total degree credits earned by total degree credits attempted.

For example, Student A has attempted 42 credits and earned 36. Student A's completion rate is calculated using the following formula: 36 / 42 = 85.7%. Student A is meeting the minimum requirement.

Student B has attempted 24 credits and earned 15. Student B's completion rate is calculated using the following formula: 15 / 24 = 62.5%. Student B is not meeting the minimum 67% completion rate.

The chart above outlines the number of credits a student must generally accrue based on the number of credits they have attempted. Please note, transfer credits accepted to a student's current degree program are counted as both attempted and earned.

*All withdrawals, after the add/drop (refund) period, including "unofficial withdrawals" (no longer attending class), will be counted as attempts. Students falling below the above standards will be ineligible for financial assistance unless they are approved for a waiver due to unusual circumstances.

In addition to meeting the requirements for Title IV satisfactory academic progress, students must also meet the following standards of satisfactory academic progress for state aid programs (TAP, APTS and EOP).

Requirements for State Academic Progress and Pursuit

See Requirements for TAP

When you apply for federal financial aid, your answers to certain questions will determine whether you're considered dependent on your parents or independent. If you are considered to be dependent on your parents, according to federal guidelines, you must report their income and assets as well as your own. If you are independent, you must report only your own income and assets (and those of your spouse, if you are married).

You are an independent student for federal financial aid purposes for the 2022-2023 aid year if at least "one" of the following applies to you:

  • Student was born before January 1, 1999.
  • Student is married or separated (but not divorced) as of the date of the application.
  • At the beginning of the 2022-2023 school year, the student will be enrolled in a master's or doctoral degree program (such as an MA, MBA, MD, JD, PhD, EdD, or graduate certificate, etc.).
  • Student is currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces, or is a National Guard or Reserves enlistee called into federal active duty for other than training purposes.
  • Student is a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces.
  • Student has one or more children who receive more than half their support from him or her between July 1, 2022 and June 30, 2023.
  • Student has dependent(s) (other than children or spouse) who live with him or her and who receive more than half of their support from the student, now and through June 30, 2023.
  • At any time since the student turned age 13, both of the student's parent were deceased, the student was in foster care, or the student was a dependent/ward of the court.
  • As determined by a court in the student's state of legal residence, the student is now or was upon reaching the age of majority, an emancipated minor (released from control by his or her parent or guardian).
  • As determined by a court in the student's state of legal residence, the student is now or was upon reaching the age of majority, in legal guardianship.
  • Student was determined by a high school or school district homeless liaison to be an unaccompanied youth who was homeless.
  • Student was determined by the director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to be an unaccompanied youth who was homeless.
  • Student was determined by the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program to be an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or was self-supporting and at risk of being homeless.
  • Student was determined by the college financial aid administrator to be an unaccompanied youth who is homeless or is self-supporting and at risk of being homeless.

The Financial Aid Office may consider an unusual circumstance for students not meeting one of the above criteria. If you feel you have an unusual circumstance, download and print the Request for Dependency Override form and visit your campus Financial Aid Office. Please be prepared to submit proof of independence to your Financial Aid Office if requested.