Creating course materials with ADA compliance in mind may seem daunting at first, but with practice, it becomes second nature. The guides and tutorials below will guide you through the process. Word documents, PDFs, PowerPoint presentations, videos, math and Brightspace are all covered. The standards adhere to Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.1 and to Suffolk County Community College's website accessibility policy.
Guides and Tutorials
Create accessible Microsoft Word documents
- Create accessible documents overview
- Using the Accessibility Checker
- Improve accessibility with alt text
- Improve heading accessibility
- Creating accessible links
- Create accessible file names
- Create accessible tables
- Create accessible PDFs from Word documents (written tutorial)
For written tutorials, please see the webpage Make your documents accessible to people with disabilities.
Create accessible Microsoft PowerPoint Presentations
- Create more accessible slides
- Improve image accessibility in PowerPoint
- Use more accessible colors and styles in slides
- Design slides for people with dyslexia
- Save a presentation in a different format
For text-based tutorials, please see the webpage Make your PowerPoint presentations accessible to people with disabilities.
Create more accessible Excel Workbooks
- Start with an accessible Excel template
- Create more accessible tables in Excel
- Create more accessible charts in Excel
For written tutorials, please see the webpage Make your Excel documents accessible to people with disabilities.
- General Captioning Standards
- Searching for Closed Captioned Videos on YouTube
- Using YouTube to Create Captions
- Creating Captions Manually or With Camtasia
- Audio Description
Brightspace course accessibility